According to CEO of Google Inc., the tech giant has fired a total of 48 employees in the past 2 years over reports of sexual misconduct.
CEO of Google Sundar Pichar and Vice President of People Operations Elieen Naughton sent out an email to employees reassuring them of Google “taking an increasingly hard line on inappropriate conduct by people in positions of authority.” A copy of this email was also sent out to various news outlets as well.
This email was in response to an explosive story published online. The story detailed that three senior executives of the company had been excused of sexual misconduct and had been protected and asked to leave with hefty payment. Most notably in this was Android Creator Andy Rubin who had allegedly been given a $90 million dollar exit package in regards to reports of misconduct.
Liz Fong-Jones was quoted in the story. In regards to this posted a tweet that said, “It’s the abuse of power relationships in situations where there was no consent, or consent was impossible.”
A spokesperson for Rubin rejected the accusations. He stated that Rubin had left to create a venture capital firm and technology incubator called Playground.
Andy Rubin himself stated that:
1/2 The New York Times story contains numerous inaccuracies about my employment at Google and wild exaggerations about my compensation. Specifically, I never coerced a woman to have sex in a hotel room. These false allegations are part of a smear campaign
— Andy Rubin (@Arubin) October 26, 2018
In the email, Pichar stated that the company is “dead serious” about providing a “safe and inclusive workplace.” He said that 48 employees had been “terminated for sexual harassment, including 13 who were senior managers and above. None of these individuals received an exit package.” Sundar and Eileen went on to assure employees that they are, “committed to ensuring that Google is a workplace where you can feel safe to do your best work, and where there are serious consequences for anyone who behaves inappropriately.”